Monday, December 17, 2012

Lessons in Forgiveness

  My mind has been all over the place the past 3 days, as so many have.  It's hard to concentrate when the TV news, the tweets, the facebook posts and the papers are laden with the stories from the tragedy in Newtown, CT.  The tears keep falling as we grieve for those families.
  For me a prevailing theme has carried through in this tragedy and also in another recent tragedy here in Iowa.  FORGIVENESS.   Three times in just two weeks I hear parents and a sibling of those who have lost loved ones implore us to forgive. 
  A grieving mom, Heather Collins, says "we forgive whoever did this but they still have to meet justice."  Sweet Emily Parker died in Newton and her dad Robbie Parker  says to pray for the family of the young man who killed all these children and teachers--he portrays forgiveness.   And in an interview on Fox News, Craig Scott, the brother of Jessica Scott who was murdered in the Columbine tragedy shares how the only way he and his family were able to move on was through forgiving.   He shared how he lived with depression and a great deal of anger and finally realized that he had to forgive.  To forgive as Christ forgave. 
  I remember reading a book called "The Shack" several years ago.  If you haven't read it you should--I remember giving it to several people who were struggling with bitterness and anger from past wounds.    The prevailing message in this book was also about forgiveness.  I remember a statement that said "forgiveness is letting go of the other person's throat" and "forgiveness is more about what it will do for you, not the other person."    I wonder if I have always forgiven as easily as what these people have?  I wonder if there are still grudges and feelings of unforgiveness that lurk within me? Am I harboring anything towards anyone?  It certainly is a question I am asking again in the midst of watching people like Heather & Drew Collins, Robbie Parker, and Craig Scott who have lost loved ones in such horrific tragedies.  The grudges and things I might be harboring are so very minor, and yet I know how grudges and unforgiveness can control me; and I see it destroy so many people.  Two friends very close to me chose to forgive.  Kevin Jansma forgave the man who killed his young wife when he was driving drunk.  Janelle Allen forgave the man who was driving drunk and killed her mom and sister.  Some of her siblings still live with anger from not forgiving; she lives in freedom; so does KJ.
   MATTHEW 6:12 "Forgive our sins as we have forgiven those who sin against us."
   MARK 11:25 "When you are praying first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins too."  God's word meant to guide us and give us freedom. 
  "Father God, I have not always been quick to forgive but when I have I experience freedom and peace.  How I pray that we, your children, will be the ultimate example of forgiveness instead of bitterness and anger.  Use me, use us to show YOU to this broken, angry world."   AMEN

No comments: