Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Choose Joy


  What a month!  It's been a month filled with lots of ups and downs, all starting with a beautiful advent event at St. Marks Lutheran Church in West Des Moines.   What an amazing night with beautifully decorated tables.  The evening was a challenge for me to get through as we had just learned that my father-in-law had passed away that day after a two year battle with cancer but what struck me as I was preparing final thoughts on my talk was that even in the midst of the unknown Mary and Elizabeth CHOSE JOY; and I could do the same.  
   A week later I shared my heart at Hope West Des Moines' Womens Christmas Brunch.  Another gorgeous event with decorations and food that were outstanding, not to mention beautiful worship by "The Girl Band".   What fun to sit by a new friend, Mary Stier, who is the Director of Womens Ministry.  Mary has a heart as big as Texas as some say; and it shone through in this event.   How I thank her for letting me be a part of their special celebration. 
PRC Wrapping Project
  Last week it was sharing at our Prairie Ridge "Life Together" monthly womens gathering where afterwards all the women wrapped gifts together for a service project to help our Creative Arts Director, Derek Pine.  What fun to watch women join together to serve--laughter, tears, pouring out their hearts--talking about "choosing joy" in the midst of the Christmas season.
  One of the prevailing points I was trying to make is that JOY IS A CHOICE and that too often we let the circumstances of life steal or joy and we live joyless rather than joyful.   I was heading into Walgreens just a few days ago to pick up a prescription - feeling absolutely rotten, yet reflecting on the very words I had been encouraging women with for 3 weeks.  JOY - JOY - JOY.....not the same as happiness, because I was not at all happy that I'd been feeling so crummy for the major part of a month.  I also was wearing somewhat of a heavy heart over the loss of my husband's dad, two friends who had just lost their dads, the recent news of two little girls whose bodies had been found after disappearing 6 months ago.   But I also had a peace and contentment that only comes from the joy of the Lord.  Psalm 43:4 says "there I will go to the altar of God, to God--the source of all my joy."   As I was wrapped in my own thoughts a young woman at the photo counter stopped me and grabbed my hand.  "You spoke at my church last week, and I just want you to know how much that blessed me and how badly I needed to hear what you had to say."   A big smile came across her face, and mine as well.  "Thank you I replied.:  So many of you have said that same thing--"I needed to hear that."  That's my constant prayer--that God will use what's on my heart to bless someone else's heart.
    I walked away praising God, knowing that truly HIS JOY this Christmas season is MY JOY.  And today I'm singing that - how can you not smile when you sing this song!   Sing it with joy. 

No comments: