Monday, October 8, 2012

THE FLEETING DAYS OF FALL

  Do you ever get totally lost in something?  You know, there is something that so captures your heart or your attention that you get totally lost in it?   That's kind of how I feel about fall in Iowa.  I get SO LOST in the beauty of fall weather and in the thought that in just a few short weeks all the leaves are going to be gone and they'll be replaced by snow that I have a tendency to sometimes be unproductive.   I want to be outdoors relishing in those last warm days.   I want to be out just sitting in my back yard.  The hard part is that I am self-employed, and I need to work for a living and I can't spend every daylight hour outdoors. 
FALL TREES NEAR MY HOME 
  Today I set about getting my "to do" list done and if I get it done then I can head outdoors for just a bit.   I'm going to take some more pictures of trees like these. 
PUMPKIN MUFFINS

















Then I'm going to reward myself for finishing my list by making a batch of my favorite fall muffins--the recipe for this fabulous Pumpkin Muffins is http://blog.entertainingbythebay.com/2011/10/27/halloween-treats---baking-with-candy.aspx  I made them for a retreat this past weekend and everyone was asking for the recipe. 

   After all this I'm going to spend some time writing on my deck because I need a little creative outlet this afternoon, and these fall afternoons beckon me to sit on my deck and enjoy my backyard just a bit. 
  It's amazing how much we can procrastinate on our list.  A friend this weekend told me she sometimes gets so paralyzed with all the things she needs to do that she doesn't even begin.  I find that with a lot of women.  Pretty soon they're spending all their time on Facebook, in chat rooms, reading blogs, and poking around in Pinterest that an entire day is gone before they ever really were productive.   So this is how I reward myself.  Tackle the "to do" list and then reward myself with the other things I "want" to do.  You might try it.  Get your list done today and then go out and enjoy this gorgeous day; or bake a batch of this yummy muffins and treat your family tonight!

No comments: